Choosing garage doors can feel like a task and a half. There is a lot to consider, and the pressure is high because garage doors are the face of your house; they are highly visible, face the curb, and generally what people notice first when cruising by. It’s important to have a great door so you can love your house, and also increase ROI and help your home sell faster when the time comes.
So how do you navigate factors like door material, color, style, and insulation? How do you decide on the right manufacturer when you are looking for, say, garage doors in Orange County?
Garage Doors 101
Garage doors are doors on garages that open either manually or by an electric motor. They are often large enough for a car to drive through, but can also be made from a smaller single panel.
Types Of Garage Doors:
There are 5 main types of garage doors:
- Sectional: made up of panel sections connected by hinges. Typically low-maintenance and easily customizable.
- Roll-up: no-frills compact design more common in commercial areas, great for limited ceiling space and durability.
- Slide-to-the-side: similar to the sectional style, but these doors slide horizontally rather than vertically.
- Side hinged: swing open and closed from a hinged frame and resemble large barn doors.
- Tilt-up canopy: made up of one solid piece and tilt up into the garage on a pivoting hinge mechanism.
Garage door style is based largely on personal preference and aesthetics. The 3 main styles are:
- Carriage house: this charming and rustic style is perfect for Victorian architecture.
- Contemporary: great for modern architecture with full-view doors.
- Traditional: cozy and classic, usually made from either steel or natural wood.
The material of your future garage door is a very important factor. There are 4 main materials to choose from:
- Natural wood: very elegant, but slightly more care-intensive than the other options. There are many woods you can choose, from tropical Luan to Redwood. Make sure to choose a manufacturer that uses sustainably sourced wood.
- Steel and composite: these are thick, multi-layered doors that offer durability, dent-resistance, and energy efficiency.
- Aluminum and glass: sleek and contemporary, these doors provide plenty of natural light and can be clouded for privacy.
- Faux wood: where beauty meets durability. Faux wood is layered over steel or aluminum to provide a great-looking door that will last years.
First Garage Door and Gates
Confused about what company to turn to for garage door service, installation or repair? First Garage Door and Gates has got ya covered. We’re the #1 rated garage door company in Orange County, and we’re all about…
- Transparency: we will give you a simple, competitive quote and leave out the stories and sales agents.
- Honesty: we won’t take on a project we are not 100% sure we can complete.
- Customer service: We work to put our customers first and provide well-trained staff for all questions and services.
- Versatility: we offer a wide range of services from installation to motor troubleshooting and spring repair. Everything we do is affordable, quick and reliable.